The Story of Chateau du Cayrou

The origins

Mentioned from the 14th century, Cayrou belongs to Guiscard, Lords of the Coste from Grézels, until 1659; their blazon is registered on the main facade. The term "Cayrou" means both the heaps of stones in the Limestone plateaus, the gravel and pebbles of the ancient alluvial terraces at the origin of this gravely soil.

The clergy

From 1659 until the Revolution, the Castle of Cayrou is the property of the regular canons of Saint Augustin in Cahors. The castle tower of the castle could have been used to store the taxes for the Bishop of Cahors.

In 1791, the domain of Cayrou is seized from the Clergy and sold as national property to a merchant of wines of Bordeaux.

The good time

In 1830, it is acquired by Eugène Lafon, rich landowner. His grandson Eugène Delard lives there until 1930. "Prince of letters and perfect gentleman", he receives numerous hosts in an "Epicurean" atmosphere with a lot of "spare time" : " the croquet and the pious exercises remain essentially optional ".

The war

In 1940, Raoul Chambert, entrepreneur of Nancy, fleeing the occupant, stops in Cahors and acquires the Castle. His son Jacques, officer, just escapes an arrest in 1944 by crossing the Lot. Of this period, it is necessary to indicate October 12th, 1943: this day was held in Cayrou a meeting of the organization of the resistance of the Army (O.R.A) ; five of the participants were arrested and deported. A memorial stone commemorates this event.

The revival

In 1971, the Jouffreau family, winegrower in Prayssac for 7 centuries, is seduced by the potential of the ground of gravels. It develops the current estate by replanting 30 hectares of vines.

Since 2009, the Castle of Cayrou belongs to the family Georges Douin, native of Luzech, who spent all its career with Renault and was elected " Man of the year " in 2004 by Le Journal de l’Automobile.

Connection

Search

Cart

The cart is empty